The Corrections Program develops practical and professional knowledge and skills within the correctional field including the application of the law, social sciences, and criminology. The Certificate prepares students for entry level careers in corrections and employment opportunities within the correctional system.
- Identify and analyze the core principles, practices and skills required for a successful career in corrections.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the functions and roles of the correctional system as it exists within the United States criminal justice system.
- Demonstrate an appreciation of and sensitivity toward the ethnic, racial and gender diversity of American society, and an understanding of how these values can be reflected and projected within the penal system.
- Identify and analyze the ethical issues that arise in corrections.
Corrections officer is an extremely important job and the need for this position will not disappear anytime soon thanks to the high rates of officers retiring or otherwise leaving the profession. The corrections officer may work in either state-operated jails and prisons, privately run facilities, or federal penitentiaries.
- Institutional Correctional Officer
- Community Corrections Officer
REQUIRED PROGRAM COURSES
CJS 100 Introduction to Criminal Justice
CJS 103 Juvenile Justice
CJS 150 Criminal Law
CJS 170 Introduction to Corrections
CJS 190 Race, Crime, and Justice
CJS 199 Criminal Justice Internship
GENERAL EDUCATION COURSES
CIS 100 Computer Applications and Concepts
GENERAL ELECTIVE COURSES
(Selected from the General Education Categories)
Select one (1) course from the Communications category.
Select one (1) course from the Social and Behavioral Sciences category.
Total for Degree: 9 courses
This information is for planning purposes only. EC3PA will make every effort to offer the most updated curriculum information above but reserves the right to change, add, and cancel course offerings. Please check with your assigned advisor for the most updated class information.