Position: School Custodian, FT
Posting Date: September 2023
Application Due: Open Until Filled
Location: Erie, PA – In-person, not remote
Position Start Date: As soon as possible after filled
Reports To: Vice President of Administration
Pay Rate: $17.00/hour
Work Hours: Schedule may vary, and may include evenings and Saturdays
Erie County Community College (EC3), America’s newest community college, is a comprehensive community college located in northwest Pennsylvania currently offering various associate degrees and certificates. EC3 is focused on enhancing the county’s economic condition by increasing educational opportunities for the diverse population in Erie County and assisting individuals to enter careers that provide family-sustaining wages.
The custodian cleans and maintains the building to ensure that workspaces and public spaces are clean, safe, and functional. Assists the Facilities Manager with ground, building, and equipment maintenance, as needed. Their duties include cleaning the facilities, replenishing bathroom and facilities supplies, observing and reporting potential hazards to Facilities Manager and assisting in the maintenance of the College’s grounds.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This list is meant to be representative and not exhaustive in nature. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Ensures assigned equipment is in proper working order and available for use.
- Maintains the safety and cleanliness of interior areas, such as bathrooms, conference rooms, employee and community rooms/lounges and offices, stairwells, and hallways, ensuring a safe, clean, and functional environment.
- Performs minor interior and exterior painting.
- Moves furniture and fixtures throughout facility.
- Reports to supervisor supplies needed. Ensures supplies needed are replenished.
- Reports to supervisor repair and safety needs, and other occurrences. May assist in addressing repairs and safety needs.
- Ensures safety standards are followed throughout facility.
- May assist in maintaining exterior areas.
- May assist in the preparation of facilities for changing weather conditions.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to interact and communicate clearly and concisely on a professional and respectful basis with EC3 staff, students, and visitors.
- Attention to detail.
- Problem-solving skills, providing alternative solutions to challenges.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee
- Is frequently required to stand and walk, for long periods of time, throughout the facility.
- Must be able to crouch, bend, lift, stretch, crawl, climb and climb ladders and steps.
- Will use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms.
- Will frequently talk or hear.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds at a time.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, ability to adjust focus, and arm’s length vision acuity.
The work environment will vary from low to loud noises, both indoors and outdoors.
- High school or GED diploma.
- Minimum of one (1) year experience in housekeeping or school custodial work.
- Ability to be attend to emergencies outside of normal working hours.
- Must possess or be able to obtain background clearances (Acts 15, 34, and 114).
- Experience as a school custodian.
EEO Statement: Erie County Community College is committed to and affirms a policy of equal employment opportunity to all applicants, employees, and students without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, genetic information, gender identification, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran, or any other legally protected characteristic and to provide each and every individual with the ability to work in a safe, productive and professional work environment that is free from discriminatory practices.