Position: Director of Advancement
Posting Date: September 2023
Application Due: Open Until Filled
Location: Erie, PA – In-person, not remote
Position Start Date: As soon as possible after filled
Reports To: President
Pay/Salary Range: $50k-$56k base salary
Erie County Community College (EC3), America’s newest community college, is a comprehensive community college located in northwest Pennsylvania currently offering various associate degrees and certificates. EC3 is focused on enhancing the county’s economic condition by increasing educational opportunities for the diverse population in Erie County and assisting individuals to enter careers that provide family-sustaining wages.
The Director of Advancement will establish EC3’s inaugural philanthropic efforts working with the “Community College Champions”, a voluntary and appointed group of advocates selected from our community. The successful candidate will develop and implement a comprehensive plan for developing annual and long-term goals and strategies for securing revenue, major gifts, and planned giving, and for securing financial support from individuals, foundations, and corporations. This position manages all activities related to fundraising and alumni relations, including planning, developing, and implementing strategic initiatives for new and existing revenue and cultivation opportunities, fundraising events, and marketing/ communications strategies. The Advancement Director is a strategic thinker who builds relationships and works with the community to promote the best interests of the College.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This list is meant to be representative and not exhaustive in nature. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Develops annual and multi-year fundraising goals that uphold the College’s mission and vision within the strategic plan, including proposals, events, social media, direct mail, and email fundraising. In addition to expected revenue, identifies new funding sources and creates a detailed work plan to accomplish those goals.
- Under the direction of the Office of the President develop relationships with the “Community College Champions”, engage them in fundraising activities including personal giving, and develop fundraising training for the Champions and other leadership
- Create annual planned giving programs for students, employees, community, and alumni.
- Works with volunteers and staff to successfully execute signature fundraising events.
- Solicits and cultivates relationships with major constituencies of the college including community leaders, Trustees, Foundation Board members, endowment holders, advisory committee members, faculty, staff, and alumni for annual giving, major gifts, and planned giving.
- Work with the Marketing and Communications Director in public relations activities, create informational materials and appeals, implements digital fundraising strategies, and serves as the spokesperson for the organization.
- Cultivates and maintains cooperative relationships with representatives of government, administration officials, lawmakers, public interest groups, and external consultants utilized by EC3.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
An understanding of and commitment to the mission of the community college and the diversity of the community college student population.
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to demonstrate maturity and sound judgement, tact and discretion, professional demeanor, and behavior at all times.
- Ability to collaborate and partner with internal and external constituents to maximize successful fundraising.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to work independently with minimal supervision and as a collaborative team member.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Ability to travel throughout Erie County to attend and represent the College at events.
- Clear understanding of and adherence to privacy and confidentiality of information.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand and walk; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee must regularly sit at a desk and use a computer with monitors.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, ability to adjust focus, and arm’s length vision acuity.
- Occasional lifting, of up to 20 pounds. The work environment is moderate noise.
- Frequent sitting in a moving vehicle as the position will require traveling to events.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field and five (5) years’ experience in community outreach, development, and donor relations.
- Possess and maintain a valid state-issued driver’s license or have access to reliable transportation, as attendance at off-campus events will be required.
- Working knowledge of development software utilized in fundraising.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications.
- Master’s Degree.
- Experience working in an educational/higher education setting.
- Experience in fundraising, corporate gift solicitation, donor relations, grant writing and grant management, communications/marketing, and project/event management.
- Experience working with government officials and knowledge of government funding mechanisms.
EEO Statement: Erie County Community College is committed to and affirms a policy of equal employment opportunity to all applicants, employees, and students without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, genetic information, gender identification, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran, or any other legally protected characteristic and to provide each and every individual with the ability to work in a safe, productive and professional work environment that is free from discriminatory practices.